Home Confetti: Weekend Xtra: "You've Captured My Heart"

Saturday, February 5, 2011

Weekend Xtra: "You've Captured My Heart"

I wasn't sure if I should post this because I'm not 100% happy with it, but then I thought otherwise since it will provide a tutorial for anyone wanting to make a bird cage for a birdie/tweet/nesting-themed party. And with a few tweaks, it is a cute Valentine's Day idea, so I'm posting it as a "Weekend Xtra." I am planning on attaching two red helium balloons to this and bringing it over to my husband at work (he'll probably be mortified--but that's part of the fun!)

Here's what I used:
Keep in mind the size I made could be used as a centerpiece. A smaller size would be perfect for a bird themed party, and would probably be a little more stable.
  • Valentine themed scrapbook paper.
  • Styrofoam disk, measures approximately 1 3/4" x 7 7/8" (didn't write down the exact measurement!)
  • Scissors
  • Two pink pipe cleaners
  • Hole punch
  • Regular tape
  • Glue dots
  • Pink copy paper
  • Printer

First, cut 3 strips from your chosen paper for the bottom of the cage. My strips measured 12” L x 2 5/8” H simply because I didn’t want to cut off the words. Then print out the words “You’ve Captured My Heart” on pink paper. My final trim size was 7 ¼” L x 1 ¼” H. I used glue dots to position the paper around the Styrofoam disk.

Next: Cut eight strips of paper (I realize there are only 6 in the photo!). Mine are 12" L x 1" W. Then, punch a hole about an inch down from the top on each one. Once that's done, take one of your pipe cleaners and make a heart with the top part of it, as shown.

Hold the strips together, holes aligned, and put the pipe cleaner through them all. Create kind of like a knot to hold the strips in place.

Next: Use a cookie cutter or print a heart from your computer as a template. Use it to cut out two hearts from your chosen paper.

Cut your second pipe cleaner in half, and glue dot them to one of the hearts as shown. Try to get the pipe cleaners as straight as possible. Then, glue the second heart on top. Position the heart in the middle of the styrofoam base and stick the bottom of the pipe cleaner into the styrofoam. Then, fan out the strips to create the bird cage. Hold the strips in place with a glue dot to the inside of the bottom paper. And you've got your bird cage!

Linking to the following parties

7 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, this is the cutest thing ever! I want to make one just like this, then another one, bigger to fit my head, that says I am the princess (for halloween, birthday, or any day I need to feel like the queen!)
    Great project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute design, and i just love the captured my heart saying! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cute little centerpiece! You make it look so simple, but I'm sure I'd have to make three before even one would turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely message!

    I linked to your pattern on my blog - thanks for sharing!


    doro K.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I thought it was a birdcage or is it a crown? I am cunfused o.O but, it is absolutely cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ivaine Thanks for visiting. It is meant to be a cage--but can certainly be repurposed as a crown!

    ReplyDelete

 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips