Home Confetti: OUR HARRY POTTER PARTY: POTIONS CLASS

Thursday, June 23, 2016

OUR HARRY POTTER PARTY: POTIONS CLASS

It's been a while since my last post, so hopefully you're not sick of my Harry Potter party updates yet! Last time I showed you the Divination Class activities we did here, and in case you missed it, I talked about the decor here. Today, I'm going to tell you about the activities we did for Potions Class - and what I think were the biggest hit with the kids!

Welcome to Professor Snape's Potions Class!
I didn't need too many "ingredients" for the potions/experiments we did: white vinegar, dishwashing liquid, Mentos and baking soda. The sign was made with the Magic School font I downloaded free from dafont.com here.

Using the magic words "Twisterus Jarus" we started out with a "volcano in a jar" which only uses water and a squirt of dishwashing liquid.  The kids were in awe by how easy it was to create this wicked tornado.
After they ooh'd and aaah'd over that one, we mixed a potion that magically inflated a balloon. This is done by mixing baking soda and white vinegar. The mixture forms a gas that inflates the balloon. Since the girls were all around 10 years old, they figured out what ingredients we were using that made up the gas. I actually didn't mind, because I felt like they were learning something while having fun. For directions on this experiment check out this link here.
The final experiment and definitely the most fun was the classic exploding geyser using diet cola and Mentos.  We didn't even use the full roll of Mentos and look at high their geysers went!! Definitely plan this last so the kids aren't running over sticky soda and tracking it into your house for the remainder of the party. If you're not familiar with this experiment, check out this link for the directions we followed.
If you're planning a Harry Potter party, make sure to visit my Pinterest board. Stay tuned for our Quidditch game and more from our Harry Potter party!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips